Memorial Day weekend is right around the corner, which means summer has arrived! Whether you're headed to the beach, the lake, the river or a picnic in the backyard, there are many ways you can enjoy a happy, and healthy, Memorial Day weekend.
5 Tips for enjoying a happy & healthy Memorial Day weekend:
1. Protect your skin. While natural vitamin D from the sun is very beneficial for your bones and immune health, too much sun can lead to skin and sun damage. Protect your skin by wearing hats and shirts, as well as sunglasses and SPF. UV radiation from the sun peaks between 10am-4pm so try to avoid the sun or seek shade whenever possible and use a sunscreen between 15-50 SPF.
2. Make good decisions when it comes to eating. Swap the chips and dip for veggies and hummus. Try drinking fruit infused waters instead of sugary soft drinks or lemonade. If burgers and hot dogs are on the menu, skip the bun. You'll be amazed at how good you feel physically, but you will also be very proud of yourself mentally, as well.
3. Don't arrive to the party on an empty stomach. This is one of the best ways to avoid overeating at a party. Before heading to your Memorial Day shindig, grab a handful of nuts and a piece of fresh fruit. This balanced combination will keep you feeling full and satisfied, and also prevent you from heading straight to the snack bar.
4. Get active & burn calories. Go for a swim, throw the football around with the kids or take a walk with your family. Balancing your calories in with calories out is a key part of maintaining a healthy weight.
5. Start your day with a good workout. If you're like most, you have Memorial Day off for the day. Begin your day with a productive trip to the gym to burn off calories before you even consume them. Not only will you burn calories, but you will also set the tone for a focused and healthy day.
From all of us at 1st Step Pro Wellness, we thank all of you who have sacrificed your families and your lives for our country. We wish you all a happy & healthy Memorial Day weekend!